With both Lara and Holly I was a big fan of our amber teething necklace; a beautiful amber necklace designed to be worn by babies and toddlers to relieve the stress and pain that they experience when teething.
|Baby Holly wearing her Amber Teething Necklace|
Amber necklaces are a natural teething remedy which works by very slowly releasing gentle natural oils and acids as the amber beads rub and warm up against the skin, the amber acids are shown to have calming and soothing properties. I found the effect of a teething necklace to be really noticeable after the girls had worn the necklace for at least a couple of hours during the day - Holly was especially crotchety as a teething baby unless she was wearing her amber necklace. I would even notice a change in mood when they weren't teething. The girls only stopped wearing their necklace when they started nursery.
Amber necklaces disappeared from sale for a little while a couple of years ago amid safety concerns but when you find a reputable baltic amber necklace supplier such as Natural Amber, you notice the signs of quality and safety that show that the necklace has been developed with babies in mind. Each bead is individually knotted into place which means that, even if the necklace were to break (perhaps through chewing... although the necklace isn't designed for chewing), or through play, only one bead would fall off. The necklace fastens with a screw-clasp so that your baby can't take it off themselves and this is also knotted on individually. I can't stress enough how important it is to check the quality of make of an amber necklace before you commit to buying one. It's also very important that you only let your child wear it while they are attended - I never let my girls sleep wearing their necklace.
|Little Lara wearing her Amber Teething Necklace|
Natural Amber also sell baltic amber anklets and bracelets, in case you would rather your baby wears a smaller item of jewellery. These can be tucked into clothing, our of sight and yet still resting against the skin to give off their soothing vibes.
I have one of these beautiful natural baltic amber teething necklaces to give away to a lucky Mellow Mummy reader (perhaps it will help you to become as mellow as me?). All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning it is to leave me a comment below to tell me one of the ways in which you can spot fake amber (clue: the Natural Amber website at www.naturalamber.co.uk will tell you everything you need to know!). The competition will close on the 8th August.
TERMS and CONDITIONS:
- There is no cash alternative.
- The competition is open to UK and Ireland residents only.
- Only one entry per person. Multiple, automated or bulk entries will result in immediate disqualification
- The winners will be contacted by email.
- Entries will only be deemed valid if a valid email address is provided when commenting, either as part of the comment, or by logging into IntenseDebate using email (not facebook, twitter etc.)
- The winners will be selected at random from all valid entries received by 11:59pm on 8th August 2015.
- The judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- The winner's names will be published on this site